Other formats

TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

James K. Baxter Complete Prose Volume 2

[A Letter to the Catholic Bishops of New Zealand]

[A Letter to the Catholic Bishops of New Zealand]

1.From Hemi the charismatic, the nobody, the dead man, who is also the Seed. To the Fathers of the Church in New Zealand. Greetings. I love and obey you.
2.It is now a short time since God opened one portion of His Will to this page 570 man. Not by locutions, not by dreams, not by visions, but by the moving of deep thoughts among shallow thoughts. This man had then terror and astonishment. Before then he had comfort and boredom.
3. God told this man to give away all his possessions except one book of meditations written in English, and to go in working clothes to Jerusalem in the North Island. There God would send this man a Maori who would teach him the Maori spoken tongue without books. I think, though I am not sure, the name of the man will be Mathiu.
4. Jesus has given this man His Sacred Heart which he feels as a physical heat in the left side of his breast. He wishes this man to live among Maoris, without money, without books – except perhaps the one book of meditations – working with his hands with the soil.
5. Why is this? Because Christ has a Maori and a pakeha face, as He has a face for each race in the world. The Maori face is being broken and mangled by money used wrongly, books used wrongly, things used wrongly. What is broken is aroha. Aroha is the Humanity of Christ. In the pakeha world it is now a shadow. In the Maori world it is broken but still real.
6. Fathers, this man has to go and make a small heaven of destitution – a paradise of the poor – in the Maori world. Only some, Maori or pakeha, will be intended to enter it. I write these things now before I go as His slave into that heaven to live by dying there, because after I am there He may not allow me to speak in English, and you who are the Shepherds must have knowledge. The name of the paradise of the poor is Aroha.
7. Why this man? Because there is no sound place in him. Therefore he is the dead man now. God made the world from nothing, not from a something, as man makes. God will make the paradise of the poor from a man who is a nothing, a nobody.
8. If you put a seed in the ground, you do not wrap it in cellophane or plastic. This man must be destitute of money and books and remain so.
9. Why speaking Maori? Because the Maori is the Elder Brother in God’s love, being poor, and the pakeha the Younger Brother. This has been reversed wrongly. Why a pakeha speaking Maori? Because the pakeha must become Maori. Why must the pakeha become Maori? Because it is the nature of Aroha to become what it loves. He became us in Mary’s womb. In marriage the husband becomes what the wife is. This man learnt aroha in marriage with a Maori wife. She too will be part of the Tree that grows from the Seed. What this man is doing is God’s extension of married love.
10. You will say – ‘To live without money is madness’ – or indeed as to another – ‘Much learning . . .’ This is not learning but the giving away of learning. I am lost in God’s [mystery?]. Pray for this poor dead man.
11. A dead man is neither Maori nor pakeha. So the race division is healed, at the Source which is God, in the paradise of the poor.
12. If this man is meant by God to die in the dark, to be no Seed, and no page 571 Tree to grow, blessed then be He! You will not be hearing these words. If the Seed is put in the ground, and the Tree grows which is Aroha, do not quickly think what happens is not intended to happen, even if there is strangeness in it. There is a killing strangeness in it for this man who is the Seed.
13. The Bishop is stronger than God. Obedience is more than charisms. Without obedience the Enemy slays us. If aroha and obedience conflict, this man will obey even against aroha. But have mercy – for if the Tree grows, and this man is there, and obedience conflicts with aroha, this man will obey, but it will be his little passion. This man may say – ‘Money is useless’ – he may throw away clocks – he may tell men not to fight in wars, because the conflict of war can only be solved by a return to destitution. In that heaven one does not count.
14. Fathers, I love you. Pray for me. If He allows me, I will also pray for you. We are one Body.

Your child Hemi

1968 (510)