Other formats

TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

James K. Baxter Complete Prose Volume 1

Doubt and Devotion

Doubt and Devotion

To a mind simultaneously passionate and logical Pascal’s ‘Thoughts’ will always be attractive; for they present Christianity as an enigma and an adventure. Mauriac records – ‘That little book, carried about with me everywhere since I was in the fourth form . . . closed and to all appearance dead in times of folly and distraction – came to life once more, opened up again, on certain evenings, along with my soul; and with the return of my thirst the spring bubbled up anew.’

Pascal will never lack disciples; for he exhibits profound human sympathies crucified on the Jansenist belief in a predestined minority of the elect. Time has swept away the Jansenist controversy but Pascal remains because he knew doubt and the war of heart against head so characteristic of our own difficult century. Mr Cohen’s translation is thoroughly readable.

It is doubtful how far The Cloud of Unknowing can be of use as devotional reading for the Christian layman who leads an active life. It was written by a contemplative for other contemplatives living under monastic discipline. Yet I have known a woman who used it successfully and it may be illuminating for others who wish to share at second hand a mystic’s experiential knowledgepage 470 of God. The translation is vigorous and colloquial:

There is another spiritual dodge to try if you wish. When you feel that you are completely powerless to put these thoughts away, cower down before them like some cringing captive overcome in battle, and reckon that it is ridiculous to fight against them any longer. And this humility causes God to come down in his might and avenge you of your enemies, and take you up, and fondly dry your spiritual eyes – just as a father would act towards his child who had been about to die in the jaws of a wild boar, or mad, biting bears! . . .

The blow-by-blow account of the pains of mental prayer has a piercing actuality.

1961 (253)