TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Letter from Samuel Marsden to Josiah Pratt, November 10th, 1823

Rev. S. Marsden to Rev. J. Pratt.
KIDDEE KIDDEE,
November 10th, 1823.

Revd. Sir,

I wrote you in September last, in hopes that some vessel might touch at New Zealand for Europe, but none has done so yet. As I am now just on the point of embarking this morning, I thought it proper to add a few more lines. Several circumstances have occurred since the loss of the “Brampton,” which could not be foreseen at the time. A small brig has come into the harbour, on her way to Otaheite, which the master of the “Brampton,” in conjunction with myself, have taken up to convey us to New South Wales. I must return to my public duty as soon as possible, as my leave of absence has expired some time. Mr. Kendall gave me reason to believe he would accompany me to Port Jackson, as I did not take up the brig until he informed me that he would follow my direction, when I applied to him to know what his intentions were. After I had engaged a passage for him and his family, he then informed me he was determined to remain in New Zealand. I am therefore constrained to leave him. Several circumstances have happened which have rendered the Rev. John Butler's removal necessary. I shall communicate the particulars to you on my arrival in New South Wales.

Mrs. B. accompanies me as well as his son.…. . I am happy to say the natives behave well; there is nothing to be apprehended from them.

I remain, etc.,

SAMUEL MARSDEN.