Other formats

TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

THE ORIGINAL IS IN THE “HOCKEN” COLLECTION, DUNEDIN

THE ORIGINAL IS IN THE “HOCKEN” COLLECTION, DUNEDIN.

Samuel Leigh to Rev. John Butler.
May 10th, 1822.

Rev. and Dear Sir,

We have received the two chairs and piece of ——(?) you have been so kind to send us, for which we thank you.

We are concerned to hear you have been unwell since you left us. We advise you to be careful of your health, and observe what it is that affects you most, that you may avoid the cause, and by the blessing of heaven, you may enjoy health.

We are pleased to find you give us a place in your prayers to God, and we beg to be continued in your daily devotions. You will excuse me for not coming to see you for the present. The whole of this week I have been unwell and continue feeble. I have had much pain in my head and back, and am now much revived, for which the Lord be praised.

Mrs. Leigh has sent Mrs. Butler two frocks for your dear child, which she hopes will please. Last Sabbath, Mr. King conducted Divine Service in our house, and this day was good to us all.

The natives have returned to us from Wangaroa, and have brought news of the death of several men who were natives of our village. One of Rangiliu men directly killed a slave, and several other natives cut him up and roasted and ate him on our beach. I have reasoned with them upon the subject, and they are ashamed of it.

Please remember us to all the friends in your settlement. We shall be glad to hear from you at all times.

Wishing you every blessing in all your ways,

I am,
Rev. and Dear Sir,
Yours, etc.,

SAMUEL LEIGH.