Land purchases, Middle Island : in continuation of paper G. 6, 1874, presented 29th July, 1874 : presented to both Houses of the General Assembly by command of His Excellency
H.—Port Levy Purchase
H.—Port Levy Purchase.
This purchase was effected in September, 1849, for the sum of £300, and the reservation of 1,361 acres for the resident Natives. The country included in the sale comprised all the tract of land to the eastward of the Port Cooper Block, and a line following the main range of the Peninsula, from Waikakahi at Lake Waihora to Pohutupa or Flea Bay, to the eastward of Akaroa Harbour. An attempt was also made to obtain the cession of the remainder of the Native claims to the Peninsula, without effect, owing to the determined opposition of the owners, who were actuated by the idea that the agent of the French Company, who had formerly purchased a portion of the country in the neighbourhood of Akaroa, would return and make them an enormous payment for their unsold land.