Land purchases, Middle Island : in continuation of paper G. 6, 1874, presented 29th July, 1874 : presented to both Houses of the General Assembly by command of His Excellency
North of the River Wai-au-ua, and extending as far north as the Wairau Bluff, there still remained an unsettled claim to be disposed of in favour of the section of the Ngaitahu Tribe residing at Kaikoura, who had been overlooked in the payments made to the northern tribes in 1847 and subsequently.
The block claimed extended from the Hurunui to Cape Campbell seawards, and from the coast back to Lake Sumner and the sources of the Rivers Wai-au-ua, Clarence, and Wairau, the north-western boundary being the White Bluff, containing an aggregate of 2,500,000 acres.
The Natives at first demanded £5,000 for their claims, but ultimately consented to accept £300 and sufficient reserves for their use and occupation.
The question was finally settled in March, 1859, for the last-named sum and reserves to the extent of 5,565 acres.