Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Petition of Hirini Karauria Pupu, Etc., relative to a Mortgage over his land in the Province of Hawke's Bay

[Translation.]

[Translation.]

Omahu, 19th October, 1871.

To Wellington, to Henry Russell, and the Assembly of the Parliament,—Friends,—Salutations to you.

To Henry Russell,

Friend,—Salutations to you and your friend. I am now, for the first time, aware that you are the doctors who are to advise in regard to my malady.

Friend, I will proceed to inform you both what my malady is: it is in regard to the lands of myself and my younger relatives. The name of the land is Te Waipiropiro; it was mortgaged by my parent while I and my younger relatives were very young; and now, for the first time, do I hear that it has gone for grog, goods, and sugar. I therefore ask that my land should be returned to me; that is, that you should cure my malady. Sufficient.

Friend Russell, if you send this letter to the Press,—that is to say, to the Assembly,—let me know; if you do not do so, then let me be informed in that case also. Sufficient.

Tareha and Karaitiana Takamoana are there [in Wellington].

Hirini Karauria Pupu.
and 13 others.