Other formats

TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Letter from William Thompson to His Excellency the Governor relative to terms of peace

(Translation.)

[ko te tohutoro i roto i te reo Māori]

(Translation.)

Peria, Matamata, July 9th 1861.

Friend the Governer,—

Salutations to you. When the Rev. Mr. Wilson arrived here, his word was this: that he had come to ask me to go to Auckland to make known my thoughts before you, and that you might make known you thoughts before me. These were all his words. I said to him, Leave me to consider the matter after you are gone.

After his departure I pondered over the matter. I thought of my arrogant demeanour in regard to your persuasions, and those of the Assembly.

I continued to turn over the matter up to the day of Wi Maihi's arrival. Then for the first time I desired to come, that is, if you are willing if I should come, it will be good, that I may make known the root from whence sprang these troubles (or difficulties) that are being worked at in New Zealand.

This is what I wish, so that if the time of our being strangers to each other (enemies) should arrive, you will have heard my reasons.

The best time for my coming would be the day upon which your Kohimarama Conferences is held, so that there may be many persons to look to my faults, and also to yours. Enough of those words.

Friend the Governor,—This is a word that you may know what things I desire to make known in your presence. My words cannot go back. All I have to say is that my words at the commencement will be adhered to. What I have to say in your presence is what I said at the commencement. Enough upon that.

Let me now ask you, if you find that my policy is firm, what are your thoughts? Will you send me back safely to my place, or what? Reveal to me your thoughts. Your thoughts rest with yourself. Enough.

From Wi Tamihana.

To His Excellency the Governor,

Auckland.