Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Further Papers relative to the Native Insurrection [Correspondence relating to the fall of Rangiriri and Ngāruawāhia]

(Translation)

(Translation)

Ngarauwahia, December 4th, 1863.

Friend Wiremu,—

Writer of the letter to Pene Pukewhau: your letter has arrived in which you say that our guns and powder be given up. Hearken; we brought away no guns or powder with us. All the Pakehas witnessed the swimming across the lake of the survivors; their guns and their powder were all lost in the lake.

The are the persons who escaped hither belonging to the tribe Ngatihaua and Ngatikoroki:—

1 Tamati Waka 11 (?)
2 Ko Kepa 12 Wiremu
3 Rihia 13 Matenga
4 Riki 14 Rawiri
5 Paora 15 Tutaki
6 Taniora 16 Poke
7 Heta 17 Te Pakaroa
8 Tarati 18 Patihana
9 Eparaima 19 Myself (ko-ahau); that is all.
10 Reweti Waikato
page break

Those of the Ngatimahuta, Ngatihinetu, Ngatiterau, Ngatiwhanaunga, Ngatihikairo, Te Nganngau, Ngatiteata, Ngatihine, Te Patupo, Ngatinaho.

20 Ngakapa 29 Hone
21 Karihau 30 Tamati
22 Paora 31 Pene Pukewhau
23 Henare 32 Hone Parengarenga
24 Arapiu 33 Himiona
25 Erueti 34 Erueti
26 Henare 35 Himiona
27 Paora 36 Toma (that is all).
28 Kingi Waikawau

All the guns and powder were lost in the water; not one was brought away. Do not suppose I am concealing (the truth) from you; no; this is the real truth—perfect truth. You say I am still in arms at the present time.

Now I will thus reply. If I were still desirous of bearing arms, I would have remained at Paetai, for some of our other tribes were staying there—200 (400 ?) with arms and ammunition.

Understand, I cannot bear arms whilst the Chiefs of Waikato, who have been made prisoners of, are making proposals of peace.

Friend, hear also that 200 (400 ?) went to assist (at Rangiriri). They paddled across the Lake, landed, and went on, and arrived at the top of a ridge, where they saw white flags flying. That was all; thereupon they sat down on the top of the ridge; afterwards Himi, a half-caste, came up in company with Teremie; they said, "Peace has been made."

The 200 (400 ?) then returned to their respective homes. Friend, it is your side alone which is still in arms—that is to say, the steamer which is at work in the Waikato, making pas as it goes on; when they finish one, they come a little further and make another.

Now, then, let the steamer stay away; do not let it come hither.—That is all.