The Early Canterbury Runs: Containing the First, Second and Third (new) Series
Smart And Turner's Run — (Run 103, later re-numbered 110 Class II)
Smart And Turner's Run
(Run 103, later re-numbered 110 Class II)
This run was taken up about the end of 1851 by Charles Turner and William Smart. The country ran from the Styx River to the Waimakariri, and joined Coringa just below Templer's Island. Turner was a butcher who had a shop on the river between Hereford and Cashel Streets, and was the owner of several horses in the earliest days of racing in Canterbury.
Smart was a builder. After various enterprises, such as prospecting for gold in Otago, where Mt. Smart at the head of the Greenstone is named after him, in 1872 he opened the White Rock quarries in partnership with William Wilson. He died in Christchurch about page 48the end of the last century, leaving a widow but no children.
In the late 'sixties Smart sold his interest to his partner and Turner took Matthew Lee Joyce, another butcher, into partnership for a time.
Their manager was Thomas Butcher, and the run was worked as a cattle station. The homestead was on the bend of the Styx near Chaney's Corner, and Turner bought a good deal of freehold on that part of the run. It was for many years leased to T. and J. Flack, and was cut up and sold by Turner's executors in 1909.