The Early Canterbury Runs: Containing the First, Second and Third (new) Series
Winterslow — (Run 414)
The Winterslow country lies behind Alford Forest, among the northern branches of the Ashburton, be-page 323tween Mt. Somers and Mt. Hutt. It runs back to the Old Man Range, part of which it takes in. It was originally supposed to contain twenty thousand acres, and was taken up in July, 1861. The earliest owner I can trace is Brian W. Taylor, after whom Taylor's Stream is named. He was there in 1863, so was most likely the original owner. Taylor took his brother Isaac into partnership at Winterslow. Another brother, Christopher, had a run in the Rangitata Forks, which he afterwards sold to the Campbells of Mesopotamia.
The Taylors sold Winterslow about the beginning of 1866 to Ivan Rankin Cunningham Colineast Graham (known as 'Alphabetical Graham' on account of his numerous initials). Brian Taylor then went to the Argentine and Isaac bought a small run in the Rangitata from Caton.
Graham was born at Jarbneck, in Dumfries, in 1833. He was educated at Peebles and at a German University, and entered the Commissariat Service in 1855, joining it at Scutari, in the Crimea. He afterwards served in Jamaica, and came to New Zealand for the Maori War. He was quartered chiefly at Wanganui where he let many contracts for supplies to John Grigg. Standish was Grigg's head stockman there, as afterwards at Longbeach. After the war Graham sold his commission and bought a two thousand acre farm near Longbeach, as well as Winterslow.
About 1890 Graham passed the station over to one of the finance companies and retired to live at Ashburton, where he died in 1903.
About 1891 the company sold Winterslow to a man named Dove, who had been managing Ben Ohau for Goldsborough Mort. Dove only lasted about two years and in 1893 or 1894 the company took the station back and resold it. Dove afterwards lived at Mosgiel, where he died, I think, in 1934.
The new owner was Donald Cameron, who was a cousin of Cameron of Springfield. He had been manager of Mt. Possession. Cameron's purchase was one of the best bargains ever made in station property. He page 324bought the run and about 8000 sheep for £1100. The homestead and station buildings were on a detached piece of freehold in front of Alford Forest, and not being overburdened with cash Cameron bought only the house and a small piece of freehold, which he afterwards said was a great mistake. He built a new woolshed on the run, which is separated from the homestead by a bridle-track, so that the wool has to be packed out in hundred-pound bales, but it is only three or four miles, and when the wool is out it is practically at the railway.
Cameron sold Winterslow in 1903 or 1904 to Charles Overton, of Swannanoa, who appointed Frank Pawson to manage it. In 1906 Overton sold the station to H. W. Phillips, a grandson of the first owner of Rockwood, but took it back after three years. His manager from this time onwards was his son Guy. About 1910 he sold the station again, this time to Colin Urquhart and William Logan, who had both been with the Gerards at Snowdon and Double Hill. Urquhart managed Winterslow until 1920, when he and Logan dissolved partnership, and Logan bought this station, Urquhart buying their other place, Bagdad. Logan died a few years later, and Winterslow was carried on by his executors until 1940, when it was taken over by his sons, John, who manages it, and William.
Charles Cran, now of Bayfields, managed Winterslow for the executors from 1930 to 1932, and Rowland Hill from 1932 till 1937. Since 1937 the Logans have managed it themselves. Cran acted as supervisor for the executors from 1932 until the sons took the station over.
Note1945.—The Logans abandoned Winterslow after the autumn muster in 1944, and later in the year R. W. Whightman [sic]took the country up again.