Edward Ward was born in County Down, Ireland in 1825 and came to New Zealand on the 'Charlotte Jane' with his two younger brothers, Henry and Hamilton. Edward was elected to the Council of the Society of Land Purchasers and was also a J.P. The three brothers planned to farm on Quail Island and built a house there. However in June, 1851, tragedy struck when Edward and Henry were drowned while out in their boat.
Works by this Author in Our Collection
For several reasons, including lack of resource and inherent ambiguity, not all names in the NZETC are marked-up. This means that finding all references to a topic often involves searching. Search for Edward Robert Ward as: "Edward Robert Ward". Additional references are often found by searching for just the main name of the topic (the surname in the case of people).
The following collections may have holdings relevant to "Edward Robert Ward":
- Dictionary of New Zealand Biography, which has entries for many prominent New Zealanders.
- Archives New Zealand, which has collections of maps, plans and posters; immigration passenger lists; and probate records.
- National Library of New Zealand, which has extensive collections of published material.
- Auckland War Memorial Museum, which has extensive holdings on the Auckland region and New Zealand military history.
- Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa, which has strong holdings in Tāonga Māori, biological holotypes and New Zealand art.
- nzhistory.net.nz, from the History Group of the Ministry for Culture and Heritage.