Trader, newspaper editor, politician, educationalist, writer.
Spouses: Lydia Jane Williams
Works by this Author in Our Collection
- A page from the history of New Zealand by Metoikos in The Pamphlet Collection of Sir Robert Stout: Rare Volume
- Postscript to ‘A page from the history of New Zealand by Metoikos, being a short exposition of the pusillanimous compliance of the secretaries of the Church Missionary Society with the political intrigue of Sir George Grey, set forth in his calumniatory despatches to the Secretary of State for the Colonies in The Pamphlet Collection of Sir Robert Stout: Rare Volume
For several reasons, including lack of resource and inherent ambiguity, not all names in the NZETC are marked-up. This means that finding all references to a topic often involves searching. Search for Hugh Francis Carleton as: "Hugh Francis Carleton". Additional references are often found by searching for just the main name of the topic (the surname in the case of people).
The following collections may have holdings relevant to "Hugh Francis Carleton":
- Dictionary of New Zealand Biography, which has entries for many prominent New Zealanders.
- Archives New Zealand, which has collections of maps, plans and posters; immigration passenger lists; and probate records.
- National Library of New Zealand, which has extensive collections of published material.
- Auckland War Memorial Museum, which has extensive holdings on the Auckland region and New Zealand military history.
- Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa, which has strong holdings in Tāonga Māori, biological holotypes and New Zealand art.
- nzhistory.net.nz, from the History Group of the Ministry for Culture and Heritage.