Soldier, surveyor, linguist, Polynesian scholar, writer, public servant, political reformer.
Spouses: Bessie Tregear
Children: Vera Tregear
Works by this Author in Our Collection
- [Articles in the Transactions of the New Zealand Institute, vol.20, 1887] in The Pamphlet Collection of Sir Robert Stout: Volume 67
- Industrial conciliation and arbitration in New Zealand; a reply to the articles published in the ‘Otago Daily Times’ by Mr John Macgregor ... against the labour laws in The Pamphlet Collection of Sir Robert Stout: Volume 76
- A Dictionary of Mangareva (or Gambier Islands)
- Hedged with Divinities
- Maori-Polynesian Comparative Dictionary
- The Maori Race
Subject of Texts
For several reasons, including lack of resource and inherent ambiguity, not all names in the NZETC are marked-up. This means that finding all references to a topic often involves searching. Search for Edward Robert Tregear as: "Edward Robert Tregear". Additional references are often found by searching for just the main name of the topic (the surname in the case of people).
The following collections may have holdings relevant to "Edward Robert Tregear":
- Dictionary of New Zealand Biography, which has entries for many prominent New Zealanders.
- Archives New Zealand, which has collections of maps, plans and posters; immigration passenger lists; and probate records.
- National Library of New Zealand, which has extensive collections of published material.
- Auckland War Memorial Museum, which has extensive holdings on the Auckland region and New Zealand military history.
- Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa, which has strong holdings in Tāonga Māori, biological holotypes and New Zealand art.
- nzhistory.net.nz, from the History Group of the Ministry for Culture and Heritage.