Other formats

    Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Selected Images from the Collections of the Alexander Turnbull Library

Kaiwharawhara stream and bridge in foreground; across the stream is a raupo hut and John Lodge's two-storeyed public house (also known as the Rainbow Hotel or Kaiwharawhara Hotel). The raupo whare is either one built for road-makers, or the immigration barracks built by Te Kaeaea (Taringa Kuri) to house Scottish colonists put ashore at Kaiwharawhara in December 1840. The area is shown before the 1855 earthquake, which raised the flat land in this part, and made the stream more shallow. The road…

Watercolour 177 x 261 mm

Kaiwharawhara stream and bridge in foreground; across the stream is a raupo hut and John Lodge's two-storeyed public house (also known as the Rainbow Hotel or Kaiwharawhara Hotel). The raupo whare is either one built for road-makers, or the immigration barracks built by Te Kaeaea (Taringa Kuri) to house Scottish colonists put ashore at Kaiwharawhara in December 1840. The area is shown before the 1855 earthquake, which raised the flat land in this part, and made the stream more shallow. The road up the hill on the near side of the stream is the Porirua Bridle Path, 6 feet wide. On the far side of the stream is the original Porirua coach road. (Information from Kapi-Mana news, Vol 23 no. 14, 10 March 1981, p. 22, by William Secker). Drawings & Prints Collection, Reference No. A-229-008 Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand